Monday, September 20, 2010

once upon a puppy . . .

John 1:1-10:42

A year or 2 after I got married my wife and I decided we wanted to get a dog. My wife was always a “dog person” because she had grown up with them. A lot of them. I think at one point they had 8 Dobermans and a Gordon Setter. I never had any mammals for pets growing up, but I sure did think they were cute.

We had decided to get a Jack Russel Terrier. We named him Kruger and he came from a several time US and Canadian national racing champion and serious working dog stock. Kruger was nothing short of a riot. He would bounce off the walls and tear all over the place. We had all kinds of fun with him until our daughter Ella came.

For a time, they co-existed very well together. But there was a point when Kruger became more aggressive toward Ella and we had to let him go. This was not his fault it was ours (for not being able to give him the exercise he required), but the simple fact was that Ella was family and Kruger was not.

I thought of this experience as I was reading John. John 8:35 “Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.” He is talking about how we are all slaves to sin, but is the Son sets us free, we will be free indeed. When we put our faith in him and turn from our sins, we are part of His family! The maker of the heavens and the earth, the giver of life, the redeemer, the almighty... yup, He’s my father!

Today's Blogger: Dave Bode

Tomorrow's Text: John 11:1-21:25

0 comments:

Post a Comment