Sunday, September 12, 2010

my refuge in You

“And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” –Philippians 4:7

I love to lie in the cool grass on a summer’s evening and watch the sunset blanket farms and fields in its warmth. There are very few things that recreate such a profound sense of stillness in my soul. But, I’ve been wondering, why do I feel such peace at the sight of a sunset? Why should I be at peace at all? Should I look for peace in the beauty that surrounds me? Should I look for peace in the lifestyle I provide for myself? Should I look for peace in the fellowship of others? What is my sanity anchored to?

I love Sister Sylvia Evans’ quote: “You know you're resting when the thought of being totally dependent on God doesn't bother you.”

As Paul explains in this verse from Philippians, true and lasting peace is not rooted in anything of this world. It stems from a deep-rooted trust in these two pillars: God is able to do anything, and God is the very embodiment of love. Anything else we lean on will prove in time that it cannot hold the weight of our expectations.

Thank God that this truth transcends all understanding… that it doesn’t have to add up. By His Grace, we are given the power to rest in the uncomfortable places, thrive in hostile environments, and let the stillness in our souls influence the storms around us.

Psalm 11:1 says “In the Lord I take refuge. How then can you say to me: 'Flee like a bird to your mountain.’” David understood that, no matter what was going on, there was a refuge for him. He did not need to flee from the battle to experience peace.

Even when you are going through the stuff of life, even when you are far from your "mountain" of comfort, whatever that may be, there is still refuge.


Today's Blogger: Nathan Hinton


Tomorrow's Text: Luke 1:1-9:62

0 comments:

Post a Comment