Saturday, September 11, 2010

I love you, Dad!

For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." Romans 8:15 (New International Version)

One translation notes that Jewish children called their fathers "Abba," so a better word for us today would probably be "Daddy" or "Dad."

Too often, we tend to think that God is some starchy, far away "person." That’s why he sent Jesus to show us that he’s really very down-to-earth, and why he gave us his Spirit so we could know him up close!

I find myself needing to remember every day that He’s right here at my side. ...that he’s ready to hear me any time I want to talk to him – and ready to respond. I may not see him; I may not hear him speak out loud, but He’s here!

"Good morning, Dad. I love you." When I can get myself to say something like that, things are just different!

What do you think? Could you begin to remind yourself during each day to say something like, "Dad, thank you for everything you’ve done for me. Thank you for sending Jesus to show me what you’re really like. Thank you, Jesus, for being willing to die for me! Thank you, Holy Spirit, for living in me! Dad, help me do everything I do out of gratitude to you."

If you dare to start something like this, I’ll guarantee it’ll make a difference in the way you do things. A good difference. And he’ll be there – right at your side – helping you!

Today's Blogger: Rev. Hayden Bennett

Tomorrow's Text: Grace Day

0 comments:

Post a Comment