Saturday, September 18, 2010

clear!

“Refresh my heart in Christ.” Philemon 20b

Recently my 68 year old father underwent a procedure called a Cardioversion. It’s a harsh procedure where part of the process is “shocking” or “numbing” the heart into a flat lined state with electric paddles.

Just like that procedure we too will go through seasons or events that stop us dead in our tracks and rend us immobile and unable to function.

“Heart stopping” moments like an unexpected diagnosis, betrayal, the sudden loss of a job, or the death of a loved one. These are the circumstances the enemy uses to cause us to doubt and lose hope (flat line)….

Interestingly enough after my father’s procedure I asked the nurse if they actually had to “shock” the heart again to get it started. Her reply was “no”. She also said something that really stuck with me. She said, “99.9% of the time the heart starts back on its own.”

At that moment I was reminded that all things are possible and that we can trust that if we chose to turn to the Lord He promises to refresh our hearts in Him and give us the strength we need to work through the pain and live, laugh, and love again. The apostle Paul reminds us that we are conquerors in Christ and when we are at our weakest He promises to be strong “in us” (2 Corinthians 12). Simply put, Jesus helps our hearts to start beating again!

I asked the nurse what all the doctors and nurses do when the heart that has been stopped actually starts beating again. She said “after a few tense moments when we finally see the heart take its first beat we all shout, 'Hurray!'”

I can’t help but believe that heaven is waiting to shout “Hurray” over your and my life today!


Today's Blogger: Sherrie Anderson

Tomorrow's Text: Grace Day

0 comments:

Post a Comment