Friday, September 9, 2011

Impact What's Eternal


Have you ever had a moment in life when something occurs to you that almost sounds insultingly simple but you realize that you never intentionally thought of or inquired about it until that moment? I don't know if it had to do with me growing up in a Christian environment, or because my personality is fairly easy going, but one day I had this type of "moment of clarity".


Several years ago I was sitting in a class at EBI during the last semester, and maybe even the last month of my senior year. My instructor was talking about purpose and creating foundations around our calling so that when times get tough we could have a place to come back and say "I know God lead me here because He spoke this in my past." I realized at that moment that I couldn't really clarify or define what "my calling" was. So I took that moment to ask God, "Lord what is my calling?"


I doubt that I paid much attention to the rest of the class, but God began to give me and understanding of what He created me for and what my calling is. He spoke to me of the importance of human souls as one of the few things that are eternal. As I reflected on the words of Solomon, "meaningless, meaningless, everything is meaningless, what do people gain from all their labors..." God spoke to me about the the value of spending my life pouring into other people and the eternal benefits that would bring. He gave me Ephesians 4:12 as a guide and clarified what seemed liked such a common question, but with one of the most profound outcomes.


I encourage and even challenge you to ask God what your calling is and keep in mind that we are living out an eternal existence. He has created us to be eternal beings and there are countless ways to to accomplish the meaningless, but very specific ways to have an impact on eternity.


- This blog was written by Rob Hagstrom as a part of the Radical Series. Rob is the Children's Pastor at Elim Gospel Church.

0 comments:

Post a Comment