Wednesday, March 2, 2011

lifetime learner.

"In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." Eric Hoffer

It is very true that we need to reflect on the wisdom of the ages. The years still teach us what the days will never know.

BUT...it is vital that we remain openly aggressive in our learning.


Just because I've been a husband for 10+years now and Anna hasn't tried to poison me, does not mean I've arrived and have unlocked the mysteries surrounding my wife...

Just because I've been a parent for 5+ years and both of our boys are still alive, does not mean I a clue how to navigate the next season we will face with our boys...

Just because I have been a Christ-follower, church goer and Bible consumer for 2 decades does not mean my spiritual learning is complete or give me the option to slow up my pursuit for more of God!

Many times solutions or mindsets that beautifully brought fruit in the past, will only painfully produce frustration in your present challenges.

A mentor of mine tried instilling in me at an early age to embrace the lifestyle of a novice....never assuming that you know it all or have arrived in any area of your life.

Keep learning. Renew your mind. Stay teachable. Embrace humility.
Be a lifetime learner.



Join the conversation with your comment:
  • When was the last time you unexpectedly learned a lesson from someone you would have deemed as less mature than you? a child, a friend?
  • Why is it so easy to embrace a "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt" mentality?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's easier to embrace the "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" mentality because of our pride. So much of the time we want to appear more wise than others and like we have it all together and figured out. It's also a defense mechanism to protect ourselves from having to go through another process to learn the same important principle.

Post a Comment