Friday, August 13, 2010

swedish fish.

Every parent knows that you can't always give your children everything they ask for.

If Anna and I made that mistake what kind of situation would we find ourselves in???



  • we'd own more animals than the Bronx zoo...
  • our home would be filled with a hundred different kinds of "swords" from outside...
  • the boys would be practicing how to drive a car before they learn how to ride a bike...
  • Judah would live on french toast...
  • and Jesse would be a steady coffee drinker before his 3rd birthday!
Even though as a Dad I can't always give my kids everything they think they want, there are times where I should say "yes" to their requests.

The other day I was checking out of Walmart with my son Judah when he asked for some candy. He kind of gave me one of those looks as if to say, "I know what you will say but for some crazy chance I'll ask anyway."

In that brief moment I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me to just say "yes".


I've never heard the Holy Spirit lead me to buy swedish fish before. I realized that as a person that represents God the Father to my children, I never want to grow up thinking that God is stingy, distant, grumpy and uninterested in blessing them...even in the area of their "wants" that are far from "needs".


You don't have what you want because you don't ask God for it.
(James 4:2)

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
(Jesus in Matthew 7:11)

For $.64 the Holy Spirit helped me not miss the chance to model for my son a gracious and giving Heavenly Father. (even if he did have to agree to share half the package with his brother after they both finished their dinner:)


In what ways could you be more generous and giving?

In what areas of your life should you break out from predictable, default answer of "no" with a surprisingly generous "yes"?





0 comments:

Post a Comment